Question Change of temperature during descent & ascent (AS2012 / Build B4722)

Chrix

Hi !

After installing the latest public beta for AS2012 (B4722) I noticed the temperature did not change after takeoff and the whole climbout (e. g. no gradual change, an abrupt change when the aircraft got levelled out on the enroute altitude)... in the specific case it immediately dropped from 26°C (ground temperature) to 20°C (enroute altitude).... the same happened on approach, just vice versa (immediate increase from 20°C to 27°C)...

I could not imagine of something like that with the previous beta build (B4695)...

Regards,

Christoph

damian

Developer
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. Which depiction mode/options set were you using?

damian

Developer
Staff member
Hi Christoph,

I've just tested B4722 with the IFR/High Altitude default option profile (DWC mode) and confirm no issues here (smooth temperature changes approximately 1 degree every 1.5 seconds), and a review of the code indicates no changes in temperature-related functions. It's still early yet, but we haven't any other reports of this.

Is it possible your firewall has prevented the newer build from using SimConnect networking communication? You may need to re-allow AS2012, since it is a new application (with the updated build). It's the only thing I can think of at the moment that might be affecting things for you.

Other than that, are you able to duplicate this using the IFR profile? If so, what steps (location, starting order, etc.) are you using? I will attempt to duplicate using your same situation.

andyjo

Beta Team Member
Hi Christopher

I also encountered temperature problems with B4722 (P3D, DWC). Starting at a snowy EDDF the temp. was +25c, this increased on climb to +35c at fl200, it dropped to -22 at fl220. Landing at LSZH, (forecast -2c) the temp. was +23c. I have never had this problem before.

Regards Andy

damian

Developer
Staff member
Using IFR/High altitude profile, or have you edited options beyond that, such as ATC wind lock? Flight plan loaded? If so, can you please share the .PLN? What was the date/active time? Thank you for any additional details to help reproduce this.

Also, were any wind/pressure issues noted as well, or strictly temperature?

damian

Developer
Staff member
Update: The issue has been identified and is being fixed. Expect a hotfix for this very soon. Thanks again very much for the feedback.

Chrix

Thank you for providing the hotfix !!

Another question regarding the temperature (and wind) depiction : I just noticed the temperature (and the wind speed) remain "stuck" (e. g. on the values they have on ground) until reaching a few thousand feet AGL (on one flight it was about 4000 AGL, on another one about 5500 AGL, so I can see no "structure" in here, yet).... it even "overrides" the values for temperature, wind speed and direction given on the AS2012 wx map for higher altitudes (3K, 6K, ...) .... I'm using beta build B4724, DWC mode...

Regards,

Christoph

damian

Developer
Staff member
Hi Christoph,

It does take time for smoothing to change the values to the new target, but they should start changing at about 4500AGL. The surface information influence was increased some time ago by user request, to provide more consistent approach and departure conditions based on METAR report.

Chrix

Hi,

the values start smoothing at about 4500AGL, I can confirm that ... but on the other hand: if you're primarily flying in low altitudes (VFR and IFR) and don't want to miss the DWC weather depiction, which is the best choice for me, you would expect some change in temperature and wind through climbout... the idea of providing more consistent approach and departure conditions based on METAR report is not bad, I like that too, but maybe the "transition altitude" when AS2012 begins to smooth out is set a bit too high ? Maybe around 3000 ft AGL would provide more benefits ... consistent approach and departure conditions based on METAR AND a consistency to AS2012 reports regarding conditions at 3K (temperature and wind)... just thinking...

Regards,

Chris

damian

Developer
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback, will definitely consider this.