Question Cloud change/transitions and smoothness

DaveRuk

Hi, this is my first posting, looking for some guidance regarding settings to ensure smooth visual transitions.
Hoping I am using the right forum section.

To explain what I am seeing, things look good generally but I notice that cloud changes can be sudden here and there, and I understand that if set up correctly, this can be avoided.

My setup is P3Dv4.5 based. I start my sessions by loading ASP4 first, then REX Environment Force. REX EF should be pulling cloud textures in background from REX Sky Force 3D. All products are up to date.

I've checked settings that I think may have an impact, as follows:
In ASP4
-Download interval (default, 15 mins)
-Prevent downloads on approach (checked, but the symptom I see is usually at cruise)
-All cloud options are default

In REX EF
-Enable weather smoothing set to off, as per REX guidance

However it's entirely possible I've overlooked something obvious, and would appreciate any hints or guidance on this one.

Thanks in advance :)
Dave

maxam

Beta Team Member
Hello Dave,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. The issue is that non HiFi products are trying to interact with Active Sky, we have resolved weather transition loading in all but very rare circumstances with ASP4 & ASCA combinations.

DaveRuk

hi Robert
thanks for your reply. It's true that when selecting products to enhance P3D skies, the aspects that mattered to me were quality and appearance of clouds, plus having a decent weather engine. It did not take long to confirm that the reputation of ASP4 as a weather engine takes some beating, which left me with the dilemma of what product to use for clouds and textures. I've used REX for some time (Enhanced Clouds at first then SF3D, which integrates nicely into REX EF) hence my leaning in that direction.

So my first thought regarding this was to see if there was anything obvious I've overlooked in attempting to get those products configured properly for each other. As far as I can see the main consideration is to make sure that REX knows you are using another weather engine, which I've done, so I think I may need to raise a similar discussion with the chaps at REX to see if there is something I have overlooked in their config regarding smoothness of transitions.

I guess the other option to consider, depending on suitability, is whether ASCA would work alongside REX Environment Force (instead of Sky Force 3D) - is that something you have experience with and could comment upon?

maxam

Beta Team Member
Hello Dave,

Getting in touch with them would be a good idea, I do not have any other weather or texture programs installed so I cannot comment as to what can be done to integrate ASCA outside of Active Sky. I hope you find a solution that works for you.