Answered Cloud depiction correct?

coldy77

Hi,

I always asked myself, why this is happening in XP/Active Sky XP.

XP shows me CAVOK (clear, no clouds), but looking out of the window, I see lots of upper clouds full covered in the sky. Also windy.com shows me the same.

So, why does Active Sky XP not render upper and mid cloud levels correctly? Anyone has an idea?

BTW, FS2020 renders those mids and upper clouds correctly, and it looks like the actual webcam picture at:

Cheers,
Michael

Attachments

maxam

Super Moderator
Hello Michael,

It appears that the METAR from EDDH is was not coded correctly by the weather observer. Currently the METAR is:

EDDH 261850Z 34011KT 310V020 4500 RA BKN008 12/11 Q0992 TEMPO 34015G25KT 6000 NSW

It appears the METAR reports became more accurate at 1320z.

coldy77

Hi maxam, thx for your reply. But there were a lot of clouds in EDDH above 10000ft nearly the whole day, at least according to windy.com, but I could not see any clouds rendered by ASXP above 10000ft at all. They don't show up in official METAR, as those show only clouds below 10k feet, as far as I understood. And I can also rarely remember situations, when I saw clouds above 10000ft over germany the last month. Is this a limitation of X-Plane?

Cheers,
Michael

maxam

Super Moderator
Hello Michael,

I tested with the following entered into the edited weather dialogue window by right clicking while in the ASXP map tab.

22005KT 10SM SCT025 BKN060 BKN320 29/18 Q1014

Three cloud layers appeared, as far as I know cirrus should appear in the right conditions. Please try editing the weather by adding your own code or by setting the conditions manually as I have.

If you continue to have issues please submit a ticket using the link at the top of the page and ask one of the developers for help.