chris willis

Fixing FSX Cloulds Pop\Flashing In and Out of scenes

Go to this folder, FSX\ShadersHLSL\misc

a file called SwarmCloud.fx. Make a backup copy

open with notepad

Change value below true to false
bool NewMaterialUsage = false;

Go to
C:\documents & settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders\Misc

backup misc contents

Only empty the content of Misc, don't delete all shaders folder

Ps: This fix is courtesy of Mike (haldir) over at AVSIM

Last edited:

Daveo

Community Manager
Staff member
Don't foreget this little tweak courtesy of Jesus from AVSIM.
If you are uncomfortable deleting files, in this case (Shader Cache) add this to your FSX.cfg:
It will only rebuild the cache on the next FSX startup until you change the number again.
Make sure it is placed under the [GRAPHICS] section.

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1 // it 're-builds' the Shader Cache (good to do on every fsx.cfg change) just enter any random number (versioning).

Daveo

Community Manager
Staff member
Has anyone tried this yet?

abschwartzjr

Fixing FSX Cloulds Pop\Flashing In and Out of scenes

Go to this folder, FSX\ShadersHLSL\misc

a file called SwarmCloud.fx. Make a backup copy

open with notepad

Change value below TRUE to FALSE
bool NewMaterialUsage = FALSE;

Go to
C:\documents & settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders\Misc

backup misc contents

Only empty the content of Misc, don't delete all shaders folder

Ps: This fix is courtesy of Mike (haldir) over at AVSIM
Been using this one for years and it works nice.

Art Schwartz, Jr.

RudiJG1

Virtual Sky Beta Team

halwatk

I do not have a file called swarmcloud.fx. I have a file called swarmcloud40.fx but does not contain an entry for bool newmaterial usage. What can I do?

chris willis

I tried this, did not work for me. Have no flickering at all anywhere, just popping clouds.

PS: This fix originally came from NickN: http://www.simforums.com/forums/how-to-get-rid-of-annoying-flashing-clouds_topic24830.html
It has been copied by a few people without credit given.

Did you even read the initial post from Nick? The fix are from Mike (haldir) not him. I did not even get the tips from that site.
This fix is courtesy of Mike (haldir) over at AVSIM. It gets rid of the issue of cloulds popping in and out of scenes...

My original post clearly said, This fix is courtesy of Mike (haldir) over at AVSIM.

Last edited:

maxam

Beta Team Member
I do not have a file called swarmcloud.fx. I have a file called swarmcloud40.fx but does not contain an entry for bool newmaterial usage. What can I do?
You make the changes in the FSX\ShadersHLSL\misc folder. You can obtain the stock Shader HLSL folder if it has become corrupt courtesy of PJ (DX10 Guru) at the sim-outhouse.com forum.

Last edited: