Unconfirmed Infinite Vertical visibility with p3d 3.2 , build 5926

amirfried

In p3D v3.2 with 5926 , when the multiple visbilty layers enabled , the Vertical visbitly seems so be infinite at all time , the horizontal visibility acts o,k touge , its happening with multiple layes enabled and volumatric fog enabled...
Have a look here the ground from above which always had this haziness which is not Exists now..

This photo was taken at 38000ft with max visbilty set to 95nm , as you can see the VV is infinite ,this happens with volumatric fog enabled and multiple layes enabled
2016_3_27_16_48_57_515.jpg

this is with build 5921 when everything ok..

damian

Developer
Staff member
Hi,

What are the conditions in that comparative screenshot? Specifically, METAR information (for current interpolated conditions). If you can re-create and post that it would be appreciated.

amirfried

I think it was CAVOK , the thing is , its was never like that before only with version 5926 and multiple layers on , when I turned Volumatric fog off everything was o,k and haziness was visble from above...

amirfried

And confirim youre talking about the first picture ? the second one is with build 5921 I have now problems with this build...

damian

Developer
Staff member
Hi,

I'll reiterate the request for more information, for without it we cannot compare:

What are the conditions in that comparative screenshot? Specifically, METAR information (for current interpolated conditions). If you can re-create and post that it would be appreciated.

I see you've posted two pics, one with lower surface visibility than the other, but without specific conditions cannot confirm a problem here. Thanks for details.

I can confirm this problem.

First of all, 4 pictures:
Volumetric fog on, Multiple visibility layers on:

Volumetric fog on, Multiple visibility layers off:

Volumetric fog off, Multiple visibility layers on:

Volumetric fog off, Multiple visibility layers off:

And the METAR at this position:
@POS 140629Z 17702KT 9999 NOSIG 02/00 Q1016 RMK AS DEPICTED

Maximum surface visibility is set to 30 nm
Maximum upper visibility is set to 65 nm
Auto adjust upper visibility: On

I hope this will be fixed!

Last edited:

kterz

Developer
Staff member
Hi,

is there a way using manual P3D weather dialog (without ASN running) to get the desired effect (restricted vertical visibility with hazy horizontal visibility)?

If yes, which combination of visibility layers does it?

Afterburner

To achieve a restriction of vertical visibility at high altitudes in combination with volumetric fog, there must be two important conditions met:
- The ground visibility must not be too high (30mi or more)
- If only one visibility layer is used, it must not be too thin.

If I set the ground visibility to 10mi and use only one layer that goes up to 7000ft, I am able to achieve this look: (The clouds are 2/8 cumulus clouds with a base at 4000ft and a top at 7000ft)

My impression is that if the volumetric fog is enabled, it renders a higher visibility at each value compared to having the volumetric fog off. In this regard, it would help to reduce the ground visibility.

kterz

Developer
Staff member
Hi,

- Most users that need control of horizontal visibility want that in order to avoid seeing the edge of the clouds (depending of course on the cloud draw distance). With a single layer and a fixed thickness as in your screenshot the perceived horizontal visibility clearly depends on the aircraft altitude. So, in effect you can't achieve a "hazy" feeling this way consistently. "7000" feet thickness may be too much or too little depending on the circumstances (for example if the metar says 0.5SM, then a 7000 thick layer may just be too thick).
- With multiple layers (and volumetric fog on), we get some control of it, but performance may drop and vertical visibility "blends" between the layers that's why it seems to not work.

I feel we are in a transition right now, where LM makes (welcome) changes to the way things are depicted, but this part seems to be not 100% complete yet. Unfortunately, at the moment there are not many things ASN (or a weather generator in general) can do. We have to compromise with some options (volumetric fog on/off, multiple layers on/off etc). Each has its advantages and shortcomings. In any case, we certainly keep an eye on all this and we'll continue to adjust things accordingly based on how things evolve and the users' feedback.