Intitial observations with ASN and P3Dv2.1

dancemad

Positives:

Softer looking Cumulus from above total coverage
Nice variations in looking from left to right with different weather systems and coverage
Much less of the 'quilt' look with stitch patterns. But they still exist.
Nice customizable control panel interface and options

Negatives:
Harder on the FPS than AS2012 and OpusFSX
Quilt stitching patterns from above total coverage still exists

Will I buy it?
Undecided

Michael

dancemad

Did a cross country USA today using ASN for P3Dv2.1 and I am officially wowed:

The variation of systems that developed both from above and/up and through with 4 departures and 4 arrivals is impressive. For some reason, I didn't notice much of the 'quilt stitching' as my first run.

Looking forward to trying it with the upcoming iFly integrations.

Will I buy it?
Absolutely

vgbaron

Virtual Sky Beta Team
LOL. I find that when I am testing, I can see every cloud, every sparkle and every stutter. When I'm just flying for enjoyment, I just don't see the same things. I really think that when you are just enjoying the immersion, it ALL comes together and a small stutter or slight grid pattern just isn't recognized.

Try the historical mode - go back to one of the hurricanes or snowstorms in the last couple of years and enjoy the ride!!

Vic

dancemad

Your absolutely correct. I guess I'm a little gun-shy from the 'other' programs. This one just keeps getting better with each flight. I actually had wind shear and turbulence coming out of KRNO in the Carenado B1900. Havn't EVER experienced that. Had to actually FLY the craft.....LOL

kterz

Developer
Staff member
Hi Michael,

I assume when you talk about 'quilt stitching', you refer to the "checker board" or "cloud grid" issue (just to mention a couple of the alternative names given to it until now). We're aware of this (this is a lighting issue in most cases) and we have a solution working now, but this has not properly been tested, so we still can't make this official. Specifically for the P3D version, we need this to be reviewed from LM first, cause the solution we propose may have some other yet unidentified side effects.
Still, if you think it's worth it, open a support ticket and we'll let you give it a try (using the ticket system for this and not a public beta, makes it easier for us to keep track of the possible issues associated with this experimental "fix" at this point).

Thanks,

dancemad

Thanks Kostas, I will do that. I'm having a hard time taking a break from flying today.....the weather has just become REAL......in other words OMG ;-)

vgbaron

Virtual Sky Beta Team
Thanks Kostas, I will do that. I'm having a hard time taking a break from flying today.....the weather has just become REAL......in other words OMG ;-)
LOL! Damn! Wish I had a buck for each time I've heard that sentiment!!

Vic

Mickey

ASN rocks for me definetely!!!! I noticed cloud flickering but that is rarely the case. I didn't realize any cloud popping while flying lately. Pic like the turbulence effects. It's nice to see the plane rocking in the winds it fells kind of real then.

Another thing I noticed are some crashes while loading historical weather. Within one session I had 2 crashes shortly after starting the sim. The 3rd time ASN stayed running.

Add ons used:

Rex4
ORBX NCA
CeraSim UH60
EZDOK
FSUIPC latest VER