Resolved No winds aloft in 11.50 Beta 10

Piotricz

Looks like something broke in the newest Beta, as I no longer get any wind during cruise.

This is very evident when flying online, as my groundspeed can be very different from everyone around me at the same mach number - they might have a headwind, and I don't - which is causing some issues as one might imagine.

I have not changed anything, and things were working perfectly in Beta 9, so maybe some datarefs have changed and it can no longer apply the weather synthesis?

This is happening with both "override turbulence" modes on and off (I used to always have this ON). I reinstalled ASXP, fiddled around with various settings, but the end result is always the same. On the ground I seem to be getting wind as expected, it's only when I go higher up this breaks.

Anyone having the same problem?

denalb

I am having the same issue. I have not been able to resolve it and assuming there are datarefs that x-plane has locked down and causing issues. I reverted to using SimToolkitPro weather for now in order to inject VATSIM weather.

Piotricz

Glad to hear I'm not the only one - I was worried my install may be borked.

I did revert to Beta 9 to try some things out and it was working there. So I also think it's trying to touch some datarefs that were locked in the newest update (they did say that in the changelog) and Xplane gets angry.

denalb

I found some more info on this. It looks like only cloud data is loading, no wind data in normal live weather mode with METAR.wrx. If you set ASXP to use global static depiction mode, and then set x-plane weather to customized, it looks like everything starts working. So global static mode works, the other way loads no wind data. Not sure if they'll bother looking at this until 11.50 is out of beta.

edmoore

Same here and can confirm that global static seems to fix it (although obviously I would like to not have to use this option).

OldFlyGuy

Not understanding the issue. ASXP never fails to frustrate me with East - West flights at FL altitudes these days ;). Of course if flying in the other direction things are much better. No issue with winds aloft. All this with b10. There has to be something else going on with your connections / installs...

denalb

Not understanding the issue. ASXP never fails to frustrate me with East - West flights at FL altitudes these days ;). Of course if flying in the other direction things are much better. No issue with winds aloft. All this with b10. There has to be something else going on with your connections / installs...
I've noticed this does not affect everyone, however, running a fresh install of x-plane 11.50 beta10 with the only addon/plugin being ASXP, I still have the issue using the metar file. Winds load initially looking at the weather settings screen. As soon as I go back to the sim, winds aloft are gone in the weather settings screen and in the sim. The only winds that stay are the surface winds.

Wanted to add that this was also on a fresh install of Windows with a fresh install of ASXP to get back to default settings.

denalb

I want to give as much info as I can to hopefully see if anyone else is experiencing this. Here is what I've found so far:

Start up XP and ASXP. Check to make sure metar is loaded:
2020-06-11 20_14_47-X-System.jpg
Also make sure we have winds:
2020-06-11 20_15_19-X-System.jpg

Everything looks good there. Check ASXP debug page but shows N/A for everything:
2020-06-11 20_17_08-Active Sky for XPlane _ Command Center.jpg

After takeoff, winds start slowly moving down to 0, until I hit 12000 feet AGL and now I am at 0 winds:
2020-06-11 20_26_38-X-System.jpg
2020-06-11 20_26_00-X-System.jpg

Checking x-plane weather settings show clouds, but no winds:
2020-06-11 20_27_28-X-System.jpg
2020-06-11 20_27_40-X-System.jpg

I have no idea if this is any help. If I load new METAR, winds will show on the screen until I hit done, and then they are gone from the weather settings screen again.

PIlsner

@damian I am on 11.41 and I don't know when this broke, but this is still an issue for me even with the new beta. For example, today I was flying at 10,000 ft, the winds were 1-2 kts, X-Plane weather configuration showed only surface winds and some cirrus clouds. ASXP was running in dynamic live weather mode, the debug page was saying something like 29 kts (everything else other than headwinds was showing N/A, not sure if that's expected), but the TAS/GS/winds data outputs from X-Plane were not reflecting this. (I first noticed that I had no upper level winds a week or so ago, and tried a full un-/re-install of the previous latest stable version to no effect.) In both cases, previous stable and new beta, only enabling global static mode would restore the proper winds.

Piotricz

You are most likely having a different issue, this one was very clearly caused by 11.50 Beta 10 as it was working as soon as I've reverted to an older one.