Performance

chris willis

FSX with Antialiasing and Anisotropic, have direct impact on Clouds and can drop performance to 50% down, especially when there is a lot amount of clouds, all depend on your system capabilities.

I recommend to experiment starting with Low Antialiasing\Anisotropic or Trilinear and graduate slowly with clouds in the Sim, you will able to see how much your system can handle. Using 32 bit 4096 are know to be big frame hit, Recommend to Use DXT (all resolution) or 32bit lower than 2048 for stable performance.

Daveo

Community Manager
Staff member
I've found and have mentioned this in a few other posts that NV inspector to me isn't worth the resources vs. performance regarding AA settings. I run the AA from FSX
and am able to push the machine towards the edge with good to great results, performance and visually speaking with a high amount of AI traffic on top of that.
Although its a trade off according to taste.

nemo06

FSX with Antialiasing and Anisotropic, have direct impact on Clouds and can drop performance to 50% down, especially when there is a lot amount of clouds, all depend on your system capabilities.

I recommend to experiment starting with Low Antialiasing\Anisotropic or Trilinear and graduate slowly with clouds in the Sim, you will able to see how much your system can handle. Using 32 bit 4096 are know to be big frame hit, Recommend to Use DXT (all resolution) or 32bit lower than 2048 for stable performance.
For quality, what is better? 1024 32bit or 2048 DXT5?

chris willis

I would use 32 bits 1024, DXT5 can have less defined alpha\less depth, but it's depend on what you see on your screen and your eyes, you like or not, and if less FPS is worth with minimal visual improvement.

nemo06

I would use 32 bits 1024, DXT5 can have less defined alpha\less depth, but it's depend on what you see on your screen and your eyes, you like or not, and if less FPS is worth with minimal visual improvement.

Thanks Chris, this is an interesting answer.
It seemed to me too that 1024 32bit had better visual quality, I do not know how to explain...... less cartoon.

chris willis

Hi,
DXT type is compressed format, they reduce quality but increase frame rate, the files size is lowers then 32 bits at same resolution. Msfs use a lot Dxt format to increase frame rate.

Last edited:

corizza

Good Afternoon ASN Simmers.

I'm reading all the possible suggestions, tips and configuration about your fantastic product but I'm not able to solve my problem..
I'm using FSX installed with REX4 (already set with low resolution clouds) under DX10 (patched with DX10 Scenery Fixer).
Usually I'm flying with 25/30 FPS and as soon as I have to deal with fog or low level cloud my FPS drop to 12/14 FPS.
I'm facing at same time very unreal and strong turbulence from 150ft up to 6000ft.
this is the metar reported:

240820Z 25003KT 210V310 0500 FG BKN007 FEW030 06/04 Q1007 NOSIG

I set the configuration for a low resolution clouds but this seams not help at all.
I also disable the Enhance Overcast Condition and set the minimum/maximum cloud draw distance to 90 as instructed into another post.
Do you have any other suggestion?

eziocin63

I use FEX DXT5 1024 "Naturally Dense set" cloud textures: great performance and the visuals are great as well...I am not missing 32bit HD textures at all...
One tweak which has got nothing to do with ASN but can tremendously boost your performance even in very heavy weather situations is disabling the aircraft exterior model. If you are not a screenshot addicted simmer and you spend most of your time in the VC, then disabling the a/c exterior model (putting two slashes before the line beginning with "normal" in the file model.cfg in the .../simobjects/airplanes/...../model/ folder) will help a lot....
Give it a try...it might be worth...
Regards

Mephic

On my core i5 3570k 4,6 ghz with Overclocked 660ti (to its limits) I am getting 30-80 FPS on settings:

Dx10 with scenery fixer
Autogen very dense
Rest maxed out
Traffic 30% airliners (mytraffic2013)
Rest of traffic off, water low 2.x
Aircraft shadows off
4xsgssaa in nvinspector
Min cdd 60 max 90 in ASN
Enhanced overcast on
Rex 4 direct 1024 dxt5 (any higher resolution does not look realistic anyway) - you can try 32 bit.
Lod - 5.5
Max resolution forced in cfg 2048 (for NGX and addon airports)

The only tweak I use is affinity mask and highmemfix - most of others are placebo anyway and if you have properly configured your pc you don't need anything else.

I also use: ftx global, ftx vector, fsglobal2010, gsx, accufeelv2, AXE, 737 NGX, real air duke v2.0, FSX Shade, aerosoft Skiathos and drzewiecki epkk.

And I am a living proof that proper tweaking and choosing right settings for your hardware will give you amazing performance even with transparency AA and enhanced overcast. For addon like active sky next you need very good Gpu and a CPU which won't bottleneck it.

Psycho762

Hi,

Since the latest ASN update same problem here.
Already changed the cumulus.bmp to a 256bit version (was 1024 bit) i found at Avsim. Changed CDD to 80/80 and reduced cloud layer to 4 and of course enhanced overcast off. Vaguely remembered how easy it was to decrease all of the weathertextures in old AS2012 so changed all textures to default theme 512x512 instead of 1024. Found out later to be no improvement.
Use a I7-2600 Sandybridge 3,6 Hgz with a (actually 2) AMD Radeon HD 6800 (i know Nvidea seems to be better) and TripleHead2Go digital (3 monitors) (AA en AS 8x. Most of the time this works;) ASN and AS2012 is installed on another networked pc (for perfomance reasons).

Just tested (BN Islander on short trip EHLE to EHAM). Didn't dare to fly the PMDG. By the way, EHAM (payware) is a known framerate killer:

Without FPS limiter on EHLE: 45fps. With limiter fps 30.
Than with ASN: 13fps... (Okay, bad weather with rain en TB's)
Enroute fps as low as 8 with ASN (without ASN:30).
Sometimes a slideshow.

What else can ik do to increase performance?

Regards,
Ton

Last edited:

maxhades

First of all obverlocking the GPU does nothing for FSX! My GF 660 runs with 34% load factor in heavy situations!
Right is, the ONLY "must have tweak" is the Highmemfix 1 setting in the graphic section! If Affinity mask work for you, ok! For some people the Bufferpool works great! But instead of Bufferpool 0 set to
UsePools=1
Poolsize=8388608
RejectThreshold=126976

Thats it!
The rest of the tweaks is nonsense!

The BEST tweak out there is slow down your sliders and/or buy a better hardware!

Max