Realtime Weather with modifier

Thrombus1

I fly with PilotEdge. I hate using static weather. What I would like is to be able to set a ceiling (including layer thickness) and have that ceiling applied to the real time weather leaving other elements alone.

Given the METAR: 212253Z 11005KT 10SM CLR 29/19 A2985 RMK AO2 SLP101 T02890189 and, say, I want a 300 foot (100 meter(ish), not sure where you guys are) ceiling. The modification would only replace the CLR with OVC 003 and would be applied to all METARs around the current position. That way I'm in the same flow as the rest of the traffic but always in IMC and can practice my IMC skills realistically.

Thanks.

Last edited:

maxam

Testing Team
Hello,

Please see the Active Sky User's Guide - "Using the Map to Create or Edit Custom Weather Areas"

You can edit the METAR string and add the overcast layer within a certain distance from your current position.

maxam

Testing Team
Hello,

Have you tried the Active Sky "Search" function to find IMC or would you only apply it to a specific area in which you are familiar with for training purposes?

Thrombus1

I use PilotEdge in southern California area. Practice with live ATC. The search function is nice but no atc is not the level of practice i want. Throwing communications in with flying increases difficulty.

maxam

Testing Team
Hello,

Please try setting Active Sky\Options\Visibility options\Maximum surface visibility to 0 or greater, I think that will work for you in this case as long as there are clouds forecast in the METAR.

Thrombus1

That was a good idea. But, even with visibility set to 0, I could still see over 5 miles. I could see the runway from the FAF.

maxam

Testing Team
You shouldn't be able to see more than half the runway if set to 0.