Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kityatyi

I have purchased XP11 about two weeks ago, after being on the other product line for the past 20+ years. I certainly did not give up on Prepar3D but I thought I am gonna give XP11 a try. To be honest, I am not convinced at all but it's a different story. Both platforms have weaknesses so I am not here to compare them. Anyways, I though I am going to be giving it the Active Sky treatment to make it somewhat more enjoyable. I am a very satisfied Active Sky user when it comes to FSX and more recently, Prepar3D and I was expecting similar qualities regarding the X-Plane product.

Man, disappointed isn't even close to how shocked I was when I fired up the simulator with the "new" weather engine.

I already found it pretty much suspicious when checking the settings and going through the options. I found it was lacking in many ways, far from what the Prepar3D version does offer. No way to adjust the upper visibility, no way to tweak the cloud draw distance, no volfog adjustments, and the list would be long, about a half of the options present in the P3D version does not exist here.

But seeing it in action was like "what the heck is this" seriously? The user craft is surrounded by a pathetic small circle-shaped area of "weather" and that is it. Inside the circle, the sky is indeed active, but outside there is nothing. I mean, nothing but clear skies... And the circle is tiny. So meanwhile you've got a massive storm around your vehicle, you don't need to look too far away and you will see the clear skies. It's like a weather bubble that follows you, and inside the bubble is all the weather and outside of the bubble is just pure nothing.

The cloud-redraw that is so raw and ugly and awkward in X-Plane isn't improved on either. The whole depiction is ugly and rough as hell.

Visibility adjustments don't play here, you are stuck with the stock. If only one could reduce the maximum upper visibility to make it somewhat realistic of an experience looking into the distance...

This should not have been released, it is not even pre-alpha stage. I bought it because to me this brand means quality but what we have here is very deceiving, using a well-tried and tested brand name for an utterly substandard product. A waste of money at its current state, totally. Tiny Weather Bubble XP would be more of an appropriate name for this product.

Meanwhile it's alright that HiFi are experimenting with X-Plane but this nonsense should not have been rushed out to the market. I regret every single penny I spent on this.

Last edited:

maxam

Super Moderator
Hello,

Sorry to be reading about your experience with ASXP thus far. We pride ourselves on products that have been released for the flight simulation community and the constant engagement that we have within it. Rest assured, we continue to make improvements in our further development of ASXP for X-Plane. There are vast differences in the abilities of X-Plane vs FSX and Prepar3D and we have to work with what is available to us in the current platform that is X-Plane.

We acknowledged the limitations of ASXP prior to its release late last year so our customers could make an informed decision:

https://hifisimtech.com/forums/showthread.php?10166-Development-News-Update-November-2018

Product Page:
https://hifisimtech.com/asxp/

Last edited:

kityatyi

I have no doubts that you are going to improve the product and I am looking forward to those improvements very much. Thank you for your response!

maxam

Super Moderator
Hello,

You are welcome, we hope your outlook changes with respect to ASXP.

GeeBee

Why can't the cloud draw distance be increased ?

Why can't a proper visibility limit be set ? I can always see a blank horizon and the point at which clouds stop drawing ?

The only 2 good things about it is proper wind layers and reduced turbulence effects, which in default XP11 are, frankly, a joke !

30 quid for me, was worth it just for these improvements, but the cloud drawing and visbility control is a far cry from the P3D version.

How long do we need to wait for improvements ? Vulkan ? XP 12 ?

Or do we just switch straight to FS2020 which will have everything built in.... albeit for a fee and a massive investment in PC hardware and SSD drives !

maxam

Super Moderator
Hello,

That is a current limitation of X-Plane, we are waiting for improvements on their internal weather programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.