Suggestion Should I change flight level after a step climb?

b744

After a step climb should I go to the ActiveSky Flight Plan section and change the cruise flight level to my new altitude? Or does that not matter and I am doing nothing by changing it? Thank you.

maxam

Testing Team
I have not seen any difference when switching flight levels.

maxam

Testing Team
I suppose the answer should have been that it depends on the accuracy & modelling of the aircraft in which the route is being flown where fuel and ETE will be impacted. The winds do change based on altitude, below is an example of a direct GPS to GPS route, notice the change in the wind forecast at different flight levels:

View attachment 3912

Active Sky will take this information into account on your projected route of flight. If a step climb is calculated enter the final cruise altitude in the flight plan tab.

Last edited:

Drale

So, you're saying that, if I plan step climbs along the route, let's say I have initial cruising altitude of FL340, but I have planned step climb to FL360 along the route, I should put 36000 from the get go in Active Sky? Did I understand that correctly?

maxam

Testing Team
Hello,

Yes, ASP4 does not have a step climb function. If using a flight planning tool like SimBrief or PFPX you will see the wind component once the Operation Flight Plan is generated so the correct amount of fuel can be added to the aircraft.

If a flight plan is loaded into ASP4 from an app simply update the flight level and press refresh.

Last edited:

Daveo

Community Manager
Staff member
Hello,

If a flight plan is loaded into ASP4 from an app simply update the flight level and press refresh.
This will also update your weather briefing including most favorable winds at alternate flight levels.

Drale

That's exactly what I've been doing, I was just wondering whether I should put initial flight level, and then change it as I do step climbs, or put my final Flight Level right away from the start.

maxam

Testing Team
That is a good workaround because Active Sky will provide the data for any given flight level.

Last edited: