Issue Turbulence Issues WIth X-Plane

kgavionics

Hi
I have been using ASXP for a while and i noticed that when passing through clouds, there's no turbulence! Does Asxp simulate clouds turbulence?
thanks in advance

maxam

Super Moderator
Hello,

Yes, turbulence is simulated in ASXP. You can make adjustments to the turbulence settings via the Options menu, be sure to select "Realism Mode" on the toolbar in ASXP\Options and see if you experience turbulence. Also see the following in the ASXP User's Guide page 50:

Cloud options

o Maximum cloud turbulence

▪ Limits the maximum level of turbulence experienced within clouds. For maximum realism, set this to 100%.
▪ Default: 100
▪ EASY Mode: 50
▪ REALISM Mode: 100

Hope this helps.

kgavionics

Hello,

Yes, turbulence is simulated in ASXP. You can make adjustments to the turbulence settings via the Options menu, be sure to select "Realism Mode" on the toolbar in ASXP\Options and see if you experience turbulence. Also see the following in the ASXP User's Guide page 50:

Cloud options

o Maximum cloud turbulence

▪ Limits the maximum level of turbulence experienced within clouds. For maximum realism, set this to 100%.
▪ Default: 100
▪ EASY Mode: 50
▪ REALISM Mode: 100

Hope this helps.
I got clouds turbulence when using Realism mode!Thank you very much Maxam!!

Last edited:

maxam

Super Moderator
Hello,

Good to hear, thank you for your reply.

kgavionics

Hi Rob
Another question please!
Do i have to choose Realism mode each time i start up Asxp? i don't see any clue in which mode i'm at!!!

maxam

Super Moderator
Hello,

No, once it is set to that mode it will remain until you reinstall ASXP.

lkn

Turbulence work so much better since the last AS updates and betas, good job guys!

Thank you et longue vie à Active Sky XP!

batito

I have seen many videos of flights with Active Sky XP, and I have never seen any cockpit movement for the turbulence, here is an exaple of how it should be, exactly minute 33:30

In this storm I was getting zero turbulence - is this normal or is it an issue? I am using realistic settings, with override XP turbulence on.

After restarting the app, I am now getting turbulence. This is really weird.

Help would be appreciated - thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

lkn

Hi Dipperdolphin,

On your screenshot it doesn't show that you are in a storm if you suggest that it is the case? You are still "far away" somehow from the storm in red on your radar... as it happens in real, it's not because you go through some clouds that you have automatically turbulence that come to say hi to your gentle bird, as I experienced many times. You could even climb going through clouds all the way long until your FL cruise without any single turbulence despite you've been flying through clouds during climbing. Clouds don't necessary means turbulence and vice et versa. As you well know you have CAT even severe ones (rarely), usually it goes from light to moderate in CAT (no clouds). However if you fly through NS/CB for instance then you'll have turbulence from moderate (XL) to severe Turb (XXL) even (XXL)² and you will increase your probabilities to kiss the ground eventually !!! ;-)
Active Sky presents a reliable approach on this way, it could be deeper/better sure but man it's coherent for the first time in our sims imo (if your settings are correct it should happen as it always happens on my side: BigTurb in thunderstorm, CB or CAT for moderate ones etc) ...

It took time to get to that, more realism in the weather based on data METAR/TAF, Active Sky is "new" in Xplane but it seems so far that it is the only Engine Weather that finally deals correctly with turbulence/Air Mass mouvement especially when your bird goes into a thunderstorm where you have a bunch of chances to crash even with a tube by stalling or damaging your structure to a lethal end... I was waiting for that since such a long time! Icing conditions are there as well which could be improved but it's there which I fully appreciate. By the way, I stalled the FF757 because of a storm and ice during crusing, ahh stupidily I thought that I could avoid the red color but bad day that day, got a video, I was too late to apply ice/wings/engine protection, I stalled and crashed my bird into a beautiful mountain!

To make sure that my tests were empirical and reliable as much as possible, I used the same airport, the same real bad weather injected from Xplane real weather, FSGWR, Xenviro 1.13 and Active sky. (I did the experience at many places on the worldmap flying the same birds: ultralight SP-30 and two GA and a GA twin and the TBM and a liner FlyJsim 732/FF757 in order to check how it was going with the same METAR) ... Well no doubt Xenviro could have maybe a little more varieties in terms of turbulence but there's a big lack in terms of air mass mouvement and that makes the huge difference for the sake of realism and the immersion especially if you had the chance to fly years in RL. Therefore I believe that Active Sky responses to this by opening new fields to explore and to improve in order to feel skies more alive as never done so far. Step by step it works since they came to Xplane.

Of course I have some wishes on the top of that, which I guess could be implanted that I will suggest to the team later (or now hhh) if it is technically possible according to the limitations of Xplane as: more ground effects (variables/temperature that provided turb which could affect drastically the envelope of your plane before the ultimate touch down or in short final), more "natural dance of the wind" based on reliefs, mountains, building etc, thermals that are very important as well (still missing), local turb should be more representative with some singularities based on certain locations, also perhaps more surprise/variety in terms of Turb in general like for instance sometimes (especially in GA you feel it better) for some "X-files classified reasons of Mother Nature" damm you fly cooool there is no cloud, calm wind at 4500 ft, you even think about the beer or the red wine you'll drink after the "engine shut down" and then all of a sudden during like 15/20 seconds you get into such a tough CAT that it demands all your attention right away to keep it straight and safe... I miss that from my "old" real pilot world! (but still have good French wine at home so that's ok) hhh !!!

Hopefully Active Sky will still continuing to compensate what it's still missing in Xplane, they've already begun in many points... (I'm grateful to the devs for that) and they are very creative and inspired so it may come step by step but what we got here, I'm happy with it for sure...

Happy Flyings! ;-)

Last edited:
Hi Dipperdolphin,

On your screenshot it doesn't show that you are in a storm if you suggest that it is the case? You are still "far away" somehow from the storm in red on your radar... as it happens in real, it's not because you go through some clouds that you have automatically turbulence that come to say hi to your gentle bird, as I experienced many times. You could even climb going through clouds all the way long until your FL cruise without any single turbulence despite you've been flying through clouds during climbing. Clouds don't necessary means turbulence and vice et versa. As you well know you have CAT even severe ones (rarely), usually it goes from light to moderate in CAT (no clouds). However if you fly through NS/CB for instance then you'll have turbulence from moderate (XL) to severe Turb (XXL) even (XXL)² and you will increase your probabilities to kiss the ground eventually !!! ;-)
Active Sky presents a reliable approach on this way, it could be deeper/better sure but man it's coherent for the first time in our sims imo (if your settings are correct it should happen as it always happens on my side: BigTurb in thunderstorm, CB or CAT for moderate ones etc) ...

It took time to get to that, more realism in the weather based on data METAR/TAF, Active Sky is "new" in Xplane but it seems so far that it is the only Engine Weather that finally deals correctly with turbulence/Mass Air mouvement especially when your bird goes into a thunderstorm where you have a bunch of chances to crash even with a tube by stalling or damaging your structure to a lethal end... I was waiting for that since such a long time! Icing conditions are there as weel (could be improved but it's there which I fully appreciate, I stalled the FF757 because of a storm and ice during crusing, ahh stupidily I thought that I could avoid the red color but bad day that day, got a video, too late to apply ince/winds/engine protection, I stalled and crashed my bird into a beautiful mountain!

To make sure that my tests were empirical and reliable as much as possible, I used the same airport, the same real bad weather injected from Xplane real weather, FSGWR, Xenviro 1.13 and Active sky. (I did the experience at many places on the worldmap flying the same birds: ultralight SP-30 and two GA and a GA twin and the TBM and a liner FlyJsim 732/FF757 in order to check how it was going with the same METAR) ... Well no doubt Xenviro could have maybe a little more varieties in terms of turbulence but there's a big lack in terms of mass air mouvement and that makes the huge difference for the sake of realism and the immersion especially if you had the chance to fly years in RL. Therefore I believe that Active Sky responses to this by opening new fields to explore and to improve in order to feel skies more alive. Step by step it works since they came to Xplane.

Of course I have some wishes that I guess could be implanted that I will suggest to the team later (or now hhh) if it is technically possible according to the limitations of Xplane as: more ground effects (variables Temperature that provided turb which could affect drastically the envelope of your plane before the ultimate touch down or in short final), more "natural dance of the wind" based on reliefs, mountains, building etc, thermals that are very important as well (still missing), local turb should be more representative with some singularities based on certain locations, also maybe more surprise/variety in terms of Turb like sometimes (especially in GA you feel it better) for some "X-files classified reasons of Mother Nature" damm you fly cooool there is no cloud, calm wind at 4500 ft, you even think about the beer or the red wine you'll drink after the "engine shut down" and then all of a sudden during like 15/20 seconds you get into such a tough CAT that it demands all your attention to keep it straight and safe... I miss that from my ex real pilot world (but still have good French wine so that's ok) hhh !!!

Hopefully Active Sky will still continuing to compensate what it's still missing in Xplane, they've already begun in many points... (I'm grateful to the devs for that) and they are very creative and inspired so it may come step by step but what we got here, I'm happy with it for sure...

Happy Flyings! ;-)
Hi there, I was directly in the storm both according to the ASXP map, and the weather map - I was messing around with it and thats why there was a clear ring around the radius of my aircraft.

When I restarted AS, I got turbulence.

Reactions: lkn
An update - appears to only be in airliners. Descending through a thunderstorm in a 767 - nothing - in the P601 very turbulent near thunderstorms. Please fix this!

lkn

SOLVED Hi there,

I haven't changed my Active Sky settings (Turb Effect Scale 100) but since the last official 7414, turb are extremely rare even in overcast weather it feels so flat where the XP weather default gives me some turbulences even strong ones according to METAR "somehow" (Xp Real weather just for testing) and I've noticed that flying from Canada to Europe during 5 days in bad weather in some parts of the flight it was going abnormaly smooth, and now same in France?! Now I'm flying from North of France to the South (TBM900) since 2 hours not a single turbulence despite stormy weather, just flat as flat ;-)

Did you guys change something, what could be wrong? My settings are the same as usual but?

Running Xplane 11.50 B9

Thank you

Last edited:

Chrlymatt

It feel so, I do gert way less turbuelnce than before. It seems that HiFi just wreack more the turbulence factor on asxp. Very sad :(