Resolved Turbulences onece again ASXP beta 4

damian

Developer
Staff member
That's odd. If you could please open a ticket we'd appreciate it. https://support.hifitechinc.com with as many details and reproduction steps as you can, and confirmation of what the debug screen turb level is at your time of comparison. Thanks!

WebMaximus

Hey guys!

Just wanted to ask if the recommended setting for the 'Override X-Plane turbulence' option still is to keep that option enabled/ticked?

Reason for my question is how I see the default setting now in the GUI using build 7014 is false, meaning not having it enabled/ticked.

i'm mainly flying the Zibo 737-800 if the aircraft type is of relevance for how you like this option set.

Franz007

You are very right! I just tried to deactivate that option. And now it works! So it seems to have the opposite effect of what it is suppose to have...so for the first time i had nice turbulences during cruise generated by ASXP (shown under DEBUG) as soon as i deactivated that option!

maxam

Testing Team
Hello,

The first sentence is what is important - When checked X-Plane surface wind speed is limited to 10 kts.

You can cycle through the effect if you find an airport with significant winds reported. I just flew out of BIEG @ 1520z and did a couple of touch and goes, with the box unchecked winds and turbulence were strong and hard to control the Zibo 737, with the box checked winds and turbulence were muted.

WebMaximus

Got it Robert but at least for me, that means I like to keep it as per default...unchecked.

This since limiting the ground speed to 10 knots doesn't feel that realistic. I do understand X-Plane's wind and turbulence effects are not always that realistic in the first place...just feels bad limiting the wind like that IMO even if it's the only solution to "tame" the winds and turbulence in X-Plane at this time.

WebMaximus

Last night, I did a flight in the Zibo mod into LFBO with the option unchecked. I had some 20 kt wind and had to struggle quite hard on short final when the aircraft skidded sideways left and right.

Since it did feel a bit too much to be fully realistic, I asked flightdeck2sim (a well-known streamer on YouTube and also a 737-800 captain IRL) and he told me he keeps the option checked since that results in more realistic behavior in the Zibo mod. And he also commented on the 10 kt limitation and mentioned how he'd seen stronger winds than 10 kt reported on the ND even with this option checked. Both during the take-off roll but also during landing. So not sure how that 10 kt limitation really works?

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting for you to know how a real 737-800 driver prefer to have this option set to best resemble what he experiences on a daily basis in his work.

damian

Developer
Staff member
The override turbulence option limits the REPORTED METAR wind speed to 10 knots and removes gusts, to limit the injection of X-Plane turbulence, which will result in a better experience regarding ASXP turbulence. Without overriding, you'll get predominantly X-plane based turbulence that overrides ASXP's. The ACTUAL wind speed experienced as injected by ASXP should not be confused with the REPORTED METAR wind speed/gusts. In other words: The limited speed is only for the "data" X-Plane uses to determine it's turbulence calculation, and the injected wind speed is separate and always should be as shown by ASXP debug screen.

We found that sigmet/airmet sub-area determination was not working as expected, resulting in much smaller areas than ideal. We're working on improvements which should be in the next build to make these sub-areas much larger and result in more expected turbulence levels in such areas. We still recommend leaving Override X-Plane turbulence ON, but we leave this DEFAULTED OFF because it does alter the reported surface wind speed/gusts and users should be aware of this before checking it.

WebMaximus

Thanks for the detailed explanation Damian.

Still not sure if I fully understand the difference between reported METAR and injected weather including winds. I thought the weather injection was based on the reported METAR info.

WebMaximus

OK.

Well, in a way I guess this is a good thing since that means even when having the override option checked, you can still expect realistic winds...only not as violent as those injected by X-Plane.

Correct?

damian

Developer
Staff member
Yes, that is the intent. The sub-area adjustments as mentioned, coming next build, will provide a more intended (as realistic) experience in large "Tango" Airmet/Sigmet areas. In the current official build the areas are being limited to 70 miles in radius within any given Airmet/Sigmet area.

beep

Hi all,

This thread is marked as "resolved" but what is the solution? I'm running the 7045 beta version of AS XP11 and have had no turbulence at all flying both the ZIBO 737 and TOLISS A319. Not even a random light chop which is at 100% in the options. So, I'm going to untick the "override x-Plane turbulence" and see what will happen. But Damian recommended that this option should be active. I'm a bit confused as to what is the best solution.

Jos Denis

cdawg9999

I just did a flight from EDDM to EGPH in the Toliss A319. The weather the whole flight was cloudy and rainy on the ground. At flight level I had a fair share of turbulence. Had to keep the sea belt sign on most of the way because it was so bumpy. But I would definitely override Xplane turbulance