Answered Very frequent crashing under XP 11.50b9 appears to be ActiveSky related

edmoore

Hi there,

I'm on the latest X-Plane Vulkan beta and in the last couple of days I've had the exact same crash - log attached - and it seems to be related to ActiveSky. I'm just loading into EGKK in the Hotstart TBM and a minute or so after loading, the sim just hangs. This is always the end of the log file:

Code:
2020-05-20 21:33:24 TBM900[except.c:171]: Caught EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Backtrace is:
0 00007FFAD48538AD C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\XPLM_64.dll+00000000000038AD ()
1 00007FFA9D347F2E C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\ASXPConnect\64\win.xpl+0000000000007F2E ()
2 00007FFA9D348464 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\ASXPConnect\64\win.xpl+0000000000008464 ()
3 00007FFA9D347512 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\ASXPConnect\64\win.xpl+0000000000007512 ()
4 00007FFAD4865E04 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\XPLM_64.dll+0000000000015E04 ()
5 00007FFAD485BC12 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\XPLM_64.dll+000000000000BC12 ()
6 00007FF62518140C C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\X-Plane.exe+0000000000AE140C ()
7 00007FF624786855 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\X-Plane.exe+00000000000E6855 ()
8 00007FF624B8665A C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\X-Plane.exe+00000000004E665A ()
9 00007FF6254BFD4A C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\X-Plane.exe+0000000000E1FD4A ()
10 00007FF6254B2F32 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\X-Plane.exe+0000000000E12F32 ()
11 00007FF6256E10D7 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X-Plane 11\X-Plane.exe+00000000010410D7 ()
12 00007FFB12B87BD4 C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.DLL+0000000000017BD4 ()
13 00007FFB12F2CE51 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll+000000000006CE51 ()
Removing the ActiveSky plugin from my plugins folder seems to resolve the issue.

Any ideas?

Attachments

edmoore

Still getting this crash guys, any thoughts? Sometimes it takes half an hour or so but same result in log file every time.

Have tried doing a clean install of the latest ActiveSky and XP plugin.

edmoore

Update: you can avoid crashes by disabling the plugin in the X-Plane plugin menu... but obviously would like to get back to flying with ActiveSky enabled ASAP!

edmoore

Please try disabling the Terrain Radar plugin and see if the CTD's stop. Are there any other weather or environmental plugins installed? Please see the following KB articles and see if they help:

Post your ASXP log.txt located in Drive:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\HiFi\ASXP

Thank you.
Hi Robert, thanks for your message.

I tried disabling Terrain Radar but still got a crash. There are no other weather or environmental plugins that I'm aware of. The XP installation is purely through Steam and not a "mix".

I attach a pic of my plugins folder. The only FlyWithLUA scripts I have running are the 3jFPS frame rate meter and the LandingRate one.

I have attached the logs from X-Plane and the ASXP one you requested from just after the last crash.

Attachments

edmoore

OK some more info - this seems to be related to some interaction between the xPilot VATSIM client and ASXP. The crash happens soon after I connect to VATSIM using xPilot.

However if I first remove the ASXP Plugin, changing nothing else, I can connect with xPilot with no crash.

edmoore

Another update - I can now replicate this crash without ActiveSkyXP running whatsoever so think it might be an xPilot only related bug. Will report back once I've figured it out.

edmoore

Okay yep, this has absolutely nothing to do with ASXP, entirely xPilot.

Apologies! Can mark this as solved or bollocks or whatever you like :)

maxam

Beta Team Member
Hello Ed,

Sorry, we do not have a bollocks tag unfortunately, but I will mark it as being resolved. :D

Have you tried an uninstall/reinstall of xPilot to see if that resolves the issue? Be sure to add the plugin or even the entire X-Plane folder to your antivirus exclusion list so it is not scanned.

I just saw this post related to an xPilot issue: https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/crashing-due-to-as_xconnect.12410/post-55368

Looks like there is an issue with the plugin.

kieranharvey

Hello,

Could I kindly ask that developers please for the time being, take the simple action of completely disabling any TCAS data it may use within XP. The TCAS datarefs have changed in XP BETA's and now you can have more than 19 aircraft. Unfortunatly, Active Sky XP appears to still be using the old 19 aircraft TCAS hack way rather than the updated API and as a result any plugin trying to show more than 19 aircraft on the map, gets a crash to desktop.

Simply disabling any TCAS/Wake turbulence may be a temporary fix. Until such a time I am rendered unable to use this product anymore. Everyone else updates to the new TCAS API and until this has been too, it's going to crash all the time.

The log will show it was the application that caused it, xPilot or Traffic Global. But the actual hidden culprit, myself and other suspect is Active Sky XP for the reasons above. Please take the time to look at this dump file to see if it can help confirm that. I have attached the log.txt as well as some other relevent logs.

I also kindly ask this is not just labelled a Traffic Global crash; just becuase it says that in the log.txt, doesn't always mean that's the underlying cause. I see too many crashes with many different plugins and they all seem to work when AS isn't enabled.

Appreciate the time,
Kieran Harvey.

P.s. This explains in detail - https://developer.x-plane.com/article/overriding-tcas-and-providing-traffic-information/

Attachments

Last edited:

kieranharvey

I'd like to reopen this. It actually is being blamed on xPilot but the underlying cause of these types of crashes is a clash in TCAS code btween the two. ASXP now uses outdated TCAS coding as it has been updated in the BETA's. Because all other plugins have taken steps to make their plugins functional with the new TCAS datrefs, active sky clashes and crashes. xPilot/Traffic Global will get the blame often in the log, but it's not the case.

I also no longer can use ASXP and it is disabled UFN.

I have a thread in the Bug Reports forum with lots of logs and a dump file :)

Kieran.

SimPat

Damian
I'm also experiencing the exact crash with TCAS and ASXP. Pretty much dead in the water for VATSIM with ASXP. Its been 5 days since your last post. Can you please update the resolution schedule. I'm not ready to leave HiFi, yet.

Pat738

maxam

Beta Team Member
Hello Pat,

As Damian said, we are working on a resolution. We appreciate your patience at this time.

damian

Developer
Staff member
This was caused by a breaking (removing backwards compatibility) change to the X-Plane API and use of it regarding other aircraft datarefs. It only affects a test beta version of X-Plane and related changed add-ons that use this changed API. The solution, if you need immediate resolution and cannot wait for us to finish testing and posting of this update, is to revert to non-beta versions that don't have this issue.

Reiterating: This is only in BETA software not yet official and is due to a backwards compatibility breaking change in the API. It involved quite a design change and we need to test this properly. Our usage of the previously documented API parameters are correct, changed without notice in BETA test software, and there is nothing we could have done to prevent this. The breaking API change could have been different. Thanks for your understanding and patience.

edmoore

This was caused by a breaking (removing backwards compatibility) change to the X-Plane API and use of it regarding other aircraft datarefs. It only affects a test beta version of X-Plane and related changed add-ons that use this changed API. The solution, if you need immediate resolution and cannot wait for us to finish testing and posting of this update, is to revert to non-beta versions that don't have this issue.

Reiterating: This is only in BETA software not yet official and is due to a backwards compatibility breaking change in the API. It involved quite a design change and we need to test this properly. Our usage of the previously documented API parameters are correct, changed without notice in BETA test software, and there is nothing we could have done to prevent this. The breaking API change could have been different. Thanks for your understanding and patience.
Thanks for the update Damian 🙌