Unconfirmed Visibility Interpolation

lisa

Administrator
Hello,

We are not able to reproduce "Visibility interpolation is always +9999 regardless of other close stations." Do you have any further information/screenshot/METAR info which depicts a "global" depiction issue? Regarding your screenshot, the interpolation appears correct, at 9SM. Note that 9999 meters is equal to 6.213091 SM, so 9SM is indeed 9999+.

Skywalker

I just updated my ASN with Current Data i.e 2016/1/20 1829Z and when I checked an airfield DNBI, I am still getting +9999 visibility with 3 stations reporting 7000m, 3000m and 8000m. so interpolation should give me roughly 6000m on average. As a real life pilot and FI I fly these parts of Africa alot and this time of the year visibility is generally very poor due to dust blowing in from the desert. A lot of stations in west Africa dont give routine weather reports online but I found active sky's general interpolation to be very good when an using my flightsim, except for the visibility which gives me 10km (9sm). I am not sure if I can reproduce it globally as i only fly in Nigeria and South Africa on the sim and in the real world. here are two more screenshots.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1JxeV90kig9dWw4dURHMHRCS1k/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1JxeV90kig9UnRWQ05hMWlYcUk/view?usp=sharing

Thanks and I love ASN regadless..:eek:

kterz

Developer
Staff member
Hi,

what is you minimum surface visibility setting in Visibility options?

damian

Developer
Staff member
Hi,

There may be an issue related to the maximum surface visibility setting not properly reflecting the limit in decoded information. We'll take a look, but can you please try confirming this by increasing maximum surface vis to something like 20, and seeing if it affects the behavior? Thank you!

kterz

Developer
Staff member
Hi, thanks

currently the code explicitly sets the visibility to unlimited when the closest interpolation source is more than 50 miles away. This works well for normal fog (and haze due to temperature inversions), but not for dust. Unfortunately, there is no info in the metar helping us identify it (in most cases), but we'll try to figure out alternative ways.