Wind Direction

Tjander

Hello,
I have 2 basic questions that I just can not grasp for some reason.
1. 1f the winds are reported as 090 degrees @ 10 and I have a runway that is at 090 degrees and assuming that I want to land into the wind do I land with a heading of 090 or 270 degrees?
2. If a weather map with wind barbs is available. I understand the vanes represent the wind speed but how do I know what the direction is. is the circle the station and the line that extends outward the direction that the wind is blowing from? A poor attempt at an example. 0___\\\ would indicate the wind is blowing from 090 degrees and again based on question number1. I would want to land with a heading of 090 degrees.

Hope my poor graphics gets the point across.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom

Chrix

The wind direction always indicates the direction the wind is blowing from (and thus also indicated on weather maps)... so if for example the winds are reported as 090 degrees and you have a runway 09/27, you should land on rw 09...

Regards,
Christoph

Andydigital

Testing Team 2018
Think of the ball on the wind barb as the point of an arrow and the wind is travelling in the direction the arrow is pointing, its kind of counter intuitive in a way as they kind of look like weather vanes but actually operate exactly the opposite way to a weather vane.

As for which runway is active with a perfect 90 degree crosswind, it depends on local factors, and as far as I can remember in FSX I think whichever runway is marked as primary in the AFCAD takes precedence.

Daveo

Community Manager
Staff member
Think of the ball on the wind barb as the point of an arrow and the wind is travelling in the direction the arrow is pointing, its kind of counter intuitive in a way as they kind of look like weather vanes but actually operate exactly the opposite way to a weather vane.

As for which runway is active with a perfect 90 degree crosswind, it depends on local factors, and as far as I can remember in FSX I think whichever runway is marked as primary in the AFCAD takes precedence.
Yes your right but if the wind is above 5 or 6 knots anything is possible.