Windshear, Gusts and wind

patrickbc

Just bought Activesky for P3Dv5 yesterday (have used active sky for years on FSX, but recently started using P3D)

I have a problem with the wind system…
In general the problem boils down to the simulator wind doesn’t match the wind on the debug page (the wind that should be send to the simulator?). The wind in p3d will try to follow the wind on the debug page, however it does this very slowly (over minutes), which makes gust, variable wind and wind shear impossible to simulate (as the debug wind, have time to change back before P3D reacts). The mean wind is what Its supposed to, however gust, variable and windshear only makes p3d react with maybe 2 kts or 2 degress.

it seems to me like some excessive wind smoothing, however I do not have anything else installed which should interfere with the WX in p3d. The active sky setting are set to realism.

thanks

edit: btw all other wx (vis, clouds etc matches active sky)

Last edited:

maxam

Testing Team
Hi Patrick,

You should be able to see the effects If using ASP3D in default settings. Any chance that you can post a screenshot of the conditions and debug page from that time? Set the time using historical weather and provide the details of what is to be expected.

I see that your name includes BC, are you from British Columbia?

patrickbc

Well shouldn’t I be able to see the effects also in realism? (Given that, well it’s more realistic)
I’ve mostly used custom weather (practicing IFR) but the problem also persists with real weather (I’ve not tried historical)
I’ll post some screenshots later

Bc stems from my initials, I am from Denmark :)

maxam

Testing Team
Oh okay, thought you might be a local. Realism settings are fine. Not sure why the reaction is so slow, I have not flown P3D for a while so I would have to check ASP3D. Check the wind settings in options to see if the max is set too low.

patrickbc

Attached screenshot.... This is the moment when i get the windshear (in this case... Could also be variable winds/gust).

Attachments

maxam

Testing Team
Hello Patrick,

I installed Prepar3D and the FSL A320. It took me 3 frustrating hours to calibrate the throttles. I loaded a flight and then used the search tab in ASP3D to find an airport with gusting winds and set the weather manually. Winds were 01003G34KTS - I watched the debug window and the nav display in the A320 and the changes in the wind were instantly transmitted from ASP3D/debug and the A320. I did not see any delay such as you noticed.

I am wondering if there is an issue between the communications of ASP3D and your sim, do you run on a network by any chance?

patrickbc

Nope I don’t, I do think however I’ve have “solved the issue”….
If there’s no turbulence in the air (as reported under the effects tab in the debug page) this issue happens…
However if I go to a place with turbulence (real wx) or add turbulence myself (custom wx) the issue is gone and the wind updates fine…
I don’t know why this happens…

Im not running it on a network

maxam

Testing Team
Interesting, is "Prevent downloads on approach" or "Suppress Local Weather Changes" active in options? Turbulence and Maximum wind shear should be set to 70% and 100% respectively. I will find an airport that has gusting winds and fly to it from a different location and see what happens.

maxam

Testing Team
I flew from Dallas to Austin Tx (KDFW/KAUS) and I experienced a great deal of turbulence about halfway to Austin. Things got really bad on the decent and approach, wind gusts and windshear alert. The windshear did not affect the plane and I do believe that even though the alert is sounded it doesn't always strike.

KDFW 192053Z VRB03KT 10SM -RA SCT035 BKN050TCU BKN075 BKN130 29/22 A2999 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT NE AND W RAB53 SLP145 CB DSNT NW-NE MO

KAUS 192124Z 35028G43KT 1/2SM R18L/3000V4500FT TSRA BR BKN021CB OVC048 22/22 A3004 RMK AO2 PK WND 34043/2116 SFC VIS 1 1/2 TSB24, SHARED BY DUPLICATE STATION: KBSM

There was lightening and thunder and I was amazed as I have only flown in P3D v5 late last year prior to MSFS being launched. A lot of things weather wise have changed, and for the better. The lightening and thunder are the best that I have seen in any sim to date. It is a bit overdone in the frequency of strikes but it is impressive none the less.