Resolved WX Edit not applied in Historical Online mode

ClarkTX

Before entering FSX, I downloaded yesterday's weather as "online historical" weather. During the early part of the flight, I witnessed several weather downloads and updates as expected.

Not being satisfied with the clear weather at my destination (Anchorage), while several hundred miles out from the destination, I updated the destination weather as a blizzard with snow, 1SM visibility, and wind 070 @ 15kts (blizzard preset). I did not think to verify the destination weather in-game using the XGauge at that time.

Much later, at 25 miles from the airport I contacted PANC ATIS and was given a very different weather report (20+SM vis, snow, different altimeter, winds calm). Anyway I did not get the blizzard conditions as expected. I then double-checked the AS2012 weather using XGauge/Dest and confirmed the blizzard conditions and 070 wind in the Met report as expected. The AS2012 app WX Report at PANC shows blizzard conditions.

So, it looks like the Wx Edit was applied in AS2012 and confirmed in the XGuage, but it actually did not affect the ATIS at the destination airport. ATIS seemed to still be at the original weather.

Are WX Edits supported when using historical online mode? I did not notice any further downloads after my Wx Edit which is expected so I don't know why the weather in-game either ignored the WX Edit or reverted without AS2012's knowledge.

Since the log is bigger than my upload budget in this forum, you can access it here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4289951/AS2012_Log_Export_12_7.zip

Clark

ClarkTX

To clarify, it was FSX ATIS and tower at PANC that gave me the original weather. I did not activate AS2012 ATIS, only the XGuage Dest window.

Clark

damian

Developer
Staff member
Hi Clark,

Can you confirm the weather visually depicted was as per your edit, and that it was only the FS ATIS that was incorrect per your edits?

ClarkTX

Sorry I cannot. I did not complete the flight after submitting the report. Tower assigned me runway 14 instead of 07, which would be contrary to AS2012's 070 wind direction though. So the simulation was not operating with AS2012 weather.

If it matters I was flying VFR at the time of the WX Edit, having cancelled IFR shortly after takeoff.

Clark

ClarkTX

Idea: I use that setting that forces the weather to "match the destination airport" so ATC will give me the final weather even while I'm many miles away. Perhaps when I do a manual WX Edit I have to take care of that myself and apply the weather to a radius large enough to cover out to the range where I first check in with ATC.

If so, this is fine, and all I would ask is that the WX Edit screen might contain a reminder to apply the weather to a range great enough to reach my TD (top of descent) waypoint.

I'll try a large radius when applying destination weather next time and pay closer attention to what happens.

Clark

ClarkTX

When does the weather cloning operation for "Force Destination WX Zone" occur? That could help me when using WX Edit. Can I force AS to re-clone the destination weather to all stations within 128 miles after I have edited the destination weather values?

damian

Developer
Staff member
It occurs for all stations within 128nm of destination that are within the active range of about 400nm from your aircraft at the time.

We have been working on force to destination zone feature for SP2, with some improvements that will be available in the next build posted. Ideally you would only need to edit the destination station, and with force to dest on, you have everything cloned far enough out to not have to worry about it. If you note problems with this in the next build please let us know.