ASCA Update Crash

matthewpow

This is a continuation of the thread posted earlier regarding crashes after installing the update for ASCA and ASP3D. I, including the others that posted, followed the instructions given on the download. Attached is my log file. Let me know of anything else you need - no event viewer information is given with these crashes. I am using P3D v4, others are v5.

Attachments

Daveo

Community Manager
Staff member
Please send your ASCA log if possible.
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\HiFi\AS16CloudArt\Log.txt

matthewpow

It now seems to work. This is exactly what I did:

Added the AS entry do the DLL.xml file later (this is later deleted by AS as it is redundant, however it is something I did).
Reinstalled ASCA as suggested and started P3D with the Aerial preset. I then switched to global automatic.

Attached is both the log file and another AS export.

Attachments

Daveo

Community Manager
Staff member
It now seems to work. This is exactly what I did:

Added the AS entry do the DLL.xml file later (this is later deleted by AS as it is redundant, however it is something I did).
Reinstalled ASCA as suggested and started P3D with the Aerial preset. I then switched to global automatic.

Attached is both the log file and another AS export.
This looks like you just had a recent Windows update within the past few days?
Can you confirm this?

Daveo

Community Manager
Staff member
A recent Windows Update has changed the location of your Desktop and Documents folder.

This has been confirmed to affect our products.

Newer products including ASP3D/ASCA especially are affected since we use default add-ons subfolder in the documents root folder. This causes ASP3D to error on start (after the folders were moved by windows update), asking to find the correct location.
You can browse directly there and it works fine (Documents\Prepar3Dv5 add-ons\ActiveSkyP5 for example).

If this does not work for you the easiest thing to do is just do a complete uninstall thru Windows Control Panel and delete ALL User Data when prompted and just reinstall.

If you are using ASPX or ASP3D do not try changing your password or anything when re-installing.

Just continue to login as normal using your current email address and password.

Regarding ASCA:

When updating to ASCA SP3 for ASP3D/P3Dv5 use, please use a FRESH installation of ASCA by uninstalling ASCA and removing all data first, then install ASCA/HD (from your vendor), then install the new 7471 update on top. Do not install any ASCA theme until updated to 7471, and then install a STATIC (not global auto or full dynamics) theme. This will reset all old-system content files and ensure proper P3D add-on folder specification compatibility with ASP3D without interference issues. You can confirm that your ASCA content is updated by looking for the existence of any ASCA*.* files within your [prepar3d install folder]\weather\clouds folder. These files should NOT exist. They have been moved entirely to your relative ASP3D add-on folder location (usually [documents]\Prepar3D v5 add-ons\ActiveSkyP5\weather\clouds).
If you need to download the original ASCA installation package or HD Content, please download from your order history at your reseller’s website, or open a HiFi support ticket with order information requesting a new download.

matthewpow

Yes I did recently update. Note: I did change the location of my Documents folder prior to this to move it to another drive.
After restarting the simulator, it is not not working again. I have attached both files. Would you suggest doing a full uninstall? In all situations, I have not been asked about deleting all user data when uninstalling.

Attachments

matthewpow

Alright so this process is the only way I can get it to work:
1. Before opening sim, close AS but keep ASCA open. Switch to a static theme.
2. Start the sim and load in.
3. While loading in, start AS. It gives me an error each time saying the data being read is invalid and it shuts down. Once I restart it, this goes away and it loads. The sim should (it has been for me) load in successfully.
4. Possibly switch to a dynamic theme - I have not been that ballsy yet.

Edit: That sometimes works...

Last edited:

Bassman7e7

So here's my progress on the ASCA saga which has now trickled to ASP3D as well. I wiped my system of ASCA and ASP3D and am now able to run 5.1 on default. ASP3D and ASCA were working this morning before I went with ASCA's new update. I FOLLOWED the instructions as provided and this has caused my sim to CTD at 74% upon loading the weather.

P3D 5.1 with no HiFi programs = Successful load. (Other addons do not factor here as the sim did not CTD prior to this release)
Putting ASP3D RC 7613 back in with the connector =FAILS to load upon 74% .

***Update 1 - Deleted P3D CFG and allowed sim to rebuild + computer restart. 5.1 loaded successfully with ASP3D running in full

**Update 2 - After "ASCA Installation as described" I launched/registered the product...RESTARTED the computer, relaunched P3D and somehow everything is working as it was before. ASCA's now at Full Dynamics with no issues.

Perhaps a computer restart is warranted with this type of "Full" reinstallation.

Last edited:

Daveo

Community Manager
Staff member
New OneDrive default backup options appears to have a new feature that changes your Desktop and Documents folder locations. This causes any existing link to Desktop or Documents location folders/subfolders to break. This appears to be set to ON as default.

This is a new Windows update headache compliments of Microsoft.
If it is affecting our programs ATM and it is sure to affect any program that uses the original Documents folder location including P3D and others.

ecasalduero

Hello C.Perlam and Dave,

Make sense the remake of the P3D.CFG. I remembered a suggestion from PMDG about these operation when the sim (I read for the FSX but is applicable to P3D) do not work as expected. So, I made the clear of the P3D CFG after uninstall the HIFI and before reinstall all (ASP3D, ASCA/HD and the UPDATE)

I confirm that the procedure from C.Perlam is correct (on my system. Of course I know that every system is a world). Thankyou.

About the OneDrive, this application is a nightmare, so, when I made the last Windows 10 clean install on the desktop dedicated to sim world, I supress all the references to it including unistall the OneDrive aplication before the installation of the, a lot, applications needed for P3DV5.1 . No problem after that.

Thankyou Dave, and a very special remembrance for Stockolm: I worked many years ago in Linkoping for DATASAAB.

Daveo

Community Manager
Staff member
Alright so this process is the only way I can get it to work:
1. Before opening sim, close AS but keep ASCA open. Switch to a static theme.
2. Start the sim and load in.
3. While loading in, start AS. It gives me an error each time saying the data being read is invalid and it shuts down. Once I restart it, this goes away and it loads. The sim should (it has been for me) load in successfully.
4. Possibly switch to a dynamic theme - I have not been that ballsy yet.

Edit: That sometimes works...
How is your Appdata folder on a K: Drive?? Is this your system drive?
K:\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Mike Kay

With MicroSoft the cause of the latest head ache, is there a way to work around this one drive problem with out doing a windows clean install.

Mike

matthewpow

How is your Appdata folder on a K: Drive?? Is this your system drive?
K:\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
When building my computer, I made a poor decision and chose a 150gb SSD instead of 500 or 1TB. Because of this, reshuffling has been done to make space. This is why my documents and Appdata/Roaming is in the K drive. C drive is still the system drive. The Local folder has not been moved (It can't be to my knowledge).

Daveo

Community Manager
Staff member
With MicroSoft the cause of the latest head ache, is there a way to work around this one drive problem with out doing a windows clean install.

Mike
Unfortunately it is probably best to re-install anything critical that uses the Documents folder. A royal PIA in my opinion.
How MS makes such a dumb move like this is beyond me but I have seen stuff like this in the past. I haven't even done this update yet on my test box. Holding off as long as possible. 🤬

n204ua

Also here unfortunately no improvement. The CTD after the flight is loaded continues. All installation steps have been considered.
Maybe a detailed step-by-step manual for a full clean deinstallation as well as a guide for a succsessfull installation may overcome this topic?

BAWV12

If You are on Win10, then You can try make symbolic link like on UNIX system. Use command line as admin and command mklink, for example :
I have ORBX on C:\ORBX but want move it to d:\ORBX
- make folder d:\orbx
- move all files from c:\orbx to d:\orbx
- remove folder c:\orbx
- run command line as admin
- type cd \
- type mklink /D ORBX d:\orbx
- result is symlink c:\orbx containing all content of d:\orbx, You moved all ORBX without reinstall

matthewpow

Link Shell Extension is another tool that makes this more user-friendly.

In regards to the crash, I am doing a suggestion taken from a Facebook group that entails:
1. Uninstalling ASP3D and ASCA.
2. Uninstall/repair client and content.
3. Reinstall ASP3D and see if that works.

They say ASCA works as well but not sure I want to try it. Has anyone tried these steps?

panselmo

Link Shell Extension is another tool that makes this more user-friendly.

In regards to the crash, I am doing a suggestion taken from a Facebook group that entails:
1. Uninstalling ASP3D and ASCA.
2. Uninstall/repair client and content.
3. Reinstall ASP3D and see if that works.

They say ASCA works as well but not sure I want to try it. Has anyone tried these steps?
It worked for me without repair client and content, as I installed ASCA again as described loading stucked at 74%, and CTD again.